Despite looking very dead over the winter my Clematis Montana survived to have hundreds of pretty white flowers… yay! for spring…. We went over the visit Mika, the newest of my friends’ babies to be born (that spring thing again..) and made her some ‘left & right’ bootees..
Ok, here are some of the answers to the questionnaire for Secret Pal 8 (so excited about doing this – always saw other people participating and now I am too!!)
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Favourite yarn? hmmmm…I think I like most yarns – I love tweedy ones (with fresh colours) and am always keen to try out some new ones (bamboo? how does that work?!…). I really don’t like plain acrylic – I don’t wear it and there’s that particular red that just makes me on edge!. However I’ve knitted happily with acrylic mixes (ones you don’t realise *are* acrylic!) or yarns that incorporate the 100% fake, ie a bit of ribbon, glitter etc… I tend to go for how a yarn feels… I’ve yet to find a pure cotton I like to knit with… it splits, it hurts your hands (but it looks so pretty when it’s done!)
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
A tin! On my to-do list is to make a needle roll (especially for circs as they get tangled) but, is has been on that to-do list for *a while*
3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I learnt from my granma when I was little, but I pulled too tight, my hands were too hot, I gave up… then started again say about 4 years ago and have made a jumper, lace shawl, bootees etc so umm… a learning intermediate? :)
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
5. What’s your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Eglantine, Lilac, Vetiver, Rose, am addicted to the smell of Smitten (but haven’t found any other almondy type scented things that don’t smell too marzipan-y). Anything in this scent… Don’t like vanilla though.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Sour sweets, ones with cool packaging, dark chocolate, licorice, peppermints!
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I love making things! sewing is become more interesting / less scary to me!.. Keen to make a start on crewel after reading this book..haven’t spun but would give it a go maybe…Oh and maybe amigurumi too…
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
argh – this question is so hard…. it depends if I’m dancing just out and about, dancing with the actionettes, or just listening… ok random stuff I have just listened to recently: Erland Oye, Phillip Glass, Cat Power, The Modern Lovers, Talking Heads, Radio 4 (BBC radio station, not the band!), Portico Quartet, The Be Good Tanyas, Sam Cooke, Antony & The Johnsons, The Streets, Fela Kuti, The Blow Up cd, King Sunny Ade… er.. is that enough?
9. What’s your favorite color? Or–do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can’t stand?
No favourite colour but do tend to go for things in groups of colours: pinks / oranges or greens / yellows… and then they might have a weird accent colour added too… Not a huge fan of grey / beige / brown / pastels but they can look great when used with a bright pink / green / sky blue… I am a pattern nut – plain stocking stitch looks great but bores me… I will go for something like this or this (if I had the patience!)
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Living in a flat with M, we have no pets / babies / car but a balcony, bikes and views!
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I wish London got colder during the winter as there are probably only a few weeks when you really need the whole hat, scarf, glove combo… I do like them though… verdict is still out on ponchos – would be keen to make a kind of spring / summer version for chilly evenings though…
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Anything I think! The bootees were a revelation – they knit up all in one go! only one teeny back seam to sew!. Also I discovered log-cabin knitting, that’s pretty cool… Socks I have to re-visit… I took the swatch, what swatch? route and ended up with a wellington boot size sock – I gave up…. :)
13. What are you knitting right now?
A cardi made from Colinette Prism, a diamond tank-top made from Rowan Felted Tweed…. Actually that’s pretty good – only two projects on the go! ah no – I just remembered… the Orangina top too…
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Yes! I think it is so lovely that someone has taken the time to make something especially for someone else…. yay!
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
straight wood, addi turbo circs, bamboo dpns… have you seen these?! Aesthetically I love multicoloured plastic ones but they are a bit bleurgh to knit with…
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
17. How did you learn to knit?
See above: 3 but a: granma b: books/ internet c: craft club!
18. How old is your oldest UFO?
A year? This one took a year, but I learned a lot 1: swatch, swatch and swatch again 2: buy an extra ball than you need in case it *does* take you so long that in fact they stop making the colour you’re after!
19. What is your favorite holiday?
Spring and summer holidays… oh like Christmas or something? Well all of them I guess! Halloween I can go without… Easter, yay! Bonfire night, yip! Seaside holidays are best of all (this is British seaside btw – big waves, windswept walks along cliffs, ice cream, rock pools to explore for hours, water so cold it makes you gasp!)
20. Is there anything that you collect?
21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I’d like to try out Lamb’s Pride so I can make the Fairly Easy Fair Isle, oh and I got one ball of Jo Sharp’s Silkroad DK Tweed from New York and I’d love to give that another go – for some reason nowhere in the UK stocks this..I subscribe to Rowan, but look at Knitty, Interweave Knits, Knitscene (new issue out in June, people!), Vogue Knitting, Rebecca, Knit 1 etc when I can get hold of them… Would like to take a look at some Phildar stuff too…
22. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn?
It’s always good to learn new stuff, but there’s nothing specific at the mo’…
23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I had a disaster with the last (one!) I made but will give it a go again, if only I could get rid of the ladders that happen between each dpn… this happened even when I pulled the first stitch of the next needle nice and tight.. :(
Anyhow foot measurements – It’s the length of your foot and circumference just behind your toes tight? ok, L: 27cm / 10 and a half inches, c: 23cm / 9 inches
24. When is your birthday?