At some point anything you put online is liable to ‘borrowed’. With the advent of Tumblr, this has become even more prevalent, and although usually not malicious, one designer/developer – @Jarred – has come up with a practical solution.
Install the Src Img bookmarklet and it will let you ‘track back’ an image to its original source* by overlaying all the the images on a page with a clickable double question mark icon.
I tried it out on an image I’d ‘♥’d earlier from a friend’s Tumblr to see how it worked – more out of curiosity than anything, as she cites most of her sources anyway. I ended up in a rabbit hole of meta-reference that I quite enjoyed for its own sake, even more so once this blog post was published, and I used the bookmarklet on this page, but think that’s just me being perverse…
The first Tumblr image, from Anne-Made, which before that came from….
… a blog post on Graphic Dirt, that linked to….
… the original work on Borja Bonaque‘s website (although in a different colourway).
When you use Src Img on the originally uploaded image, and it can’t track it back any further…
… you end up on Google’s search page, showing ‘visually similar‘ results.
Applying Src Img on the ‘visually similar’ images I used in *this* blog post…
… it went into another ‘visually similar‘ result, which curiously led to lots of images with Japanese text and a sample of a Latin Gregorian chant.
I stopped there, and have now gone to double check I’ve credited any pics I may have previously referred to!
*I think this only really applies when people have linked to images from other sources online, as opposed to uploading an image yourself to your own webspace.
Collaborative project as part of the 2 To The Power 10 (#210OD) exhibition for the Bloomsbury Festival in association with CASS Art and The British Postal Museum Archive.
Plaster casts of garlic bulb and cloves. Also cast them in (hot) rubber which made for weird aromas as the Vinamold is already vanilla- or almond-scented and the garlic started to cook with the heat!. Made a two-part sand mould for casting related bulb forms into bronze but it exploded at the foundry. :(
These are done using Sketchbook Mobile Android app which is pretty impressive, but without a decent stylus, still not as good as a paper and pen somehow…
Or, any excuse to get the glue gun & spraypaints out :). Was interested in taking something flat, constructing with it, and reverting it back to flat again. Very much process based. (I am sensing a theme here).